4/16/13

COZY BUT NOT DARK

NEEDING OOMPH.....

Sometimes the wall colors we choose are just too saturated for the available light in a room.  If you crave light and wide open spaces - but are stuck with smaller rooms and lower ceilings - you may like to try some of the very light, barely there, grays and greige paint colors to lighten up your space.



Hello there.  I found your blog today and I am so glad I did.  I love the answers and suggestions you have given in regards to your readers paint color dilemmas.  I am in a spot myself and could use some help. 
Two years ago we bought a vintage home (circa 1939) that does not have an open floor plan (like I am used to).  The rooms are somewhat smaller which makes it feel very "cozy".  Which I guess is good in some ways.  I like cozy but not dark.  I am wanting an airy open feel to the rooms.  The rooms I need help with are the living room and dining room.  I have attached some pictures that may help you to visualize what I am dealing with. 

I had painted both rooms a darker taupe/tan color, at the advice of a friend, which I like because it sets off some of the architectural elements but it's just too dark.  

The dining room was the worst and felt like a dungeon when we were eating dinner so I repainted it a shade that is about 50% lighter, but I still don't like it.  It looks dingy and everything is so bland and blah. I like crisp and clean (not necessarily white). 

 I have ordered white drapes for both rooms and most of the furniture will be staying with the exception of the dining room table and chairs; however, it may be a while before I can replace those.  These are west facing rooms which means they don't get a ton of natural light except for right before the sun goes down which makes them feel even more "cozy and dark". 

I want something contemporary and modern and was thinking about using Revere Pewter by Ben Moore for both rooms, but I also like the idea of using two different colors to accentuate the fact that they are actually two different rooms.  

Could you suggest a few modern neutral color palettes that might lighten and brighten these spaces up or at least give them some oomph?  Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give. 
Sheila

Sheila,
So glad you found the blog, and hope you will follow and become a frequent visitor!  Your home is charming  - and your choice of Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter is one of my favorite colors.  It might be nice to use that for the dining room and go with an even lighter choice for the living room.  Something like Titanium, Edgewood Gray or Halo (Benjamin Moore).
Benajmin Moore - Revere Pewter
Revere Pewter is a truly beautiful color and the photos don't do it justice.  Has the appearance of a cool gray, but has hidden warmth.

via
Benjamin Moore - Titanium
Look how lovely Titaniium is with the warm wood and fresh white paint of the trim.  It creates light in a room.
Benjamin Moore - Edgecomb Gray
Edgecomb Gray is a very light greige (gray/beige) and will be cool with an undertone of warm - best against fresh white trim.
Benjamin Moore - Halo
via

Halo, light Titanium, looks great with all warm wood tones and has just a whisper of color - 

Try a few of these as samples and I'm sure you will fall in love with the light feel they give.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are such a sweetie. Thank you so much for your suggestions and advice. I truly appreciate it and I will be sure to let you know how everything turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Highly intelligent comments from amazing readers...

WHAT DID YOU MISS?

link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...